Eligible for CY 2020 Category 3 Project Funding (Maximum of $3,000)
FDA is partnering with the National Environmental Health Association (NEHA) to present two Retail Food Regulatory Program Standards Self-Assessment and Verification Audit Workshops in 2020:
- July 11-13, 2020 in New York, NY (a preconference workshop at NEHA’s Annual Educational Conference and Exhibition, Sheraton New York City Times Square Hotel)
- May 2020 in the Northern Illinois area near Chicago O’Hare Airport.
PURPOSE OF THE FDA RETAIL PROGRAM STANDARDS
The Voluntary National Retail Food Regulatory Program Standards (Retail Food Program Standards) serve as a guide to program managers in the design and management of regulatory retail food programs, provide a means of recognition for programs that meet the standards, and are designed to help programs enhance the services they provide to the public. When applied in the intended manner, the Retail Food Program Standards:
- Identify program areas where an agency can have the greatest impact on retail food safety;
- Promote wider application of effective risk factor intervention strategies;
- Assist in identifying program areas most in need of additional attention;
- Provide information needed to justify maintenance or increase in program budgets;
- Lead to innovations in program implementation and administration; and
- Improve industry and consumer confidence in food protection programs by enhancing uniformity within and between regulatory agencies.
The Standards Self-Assessment and Verification Audit Workshop (Course ID: SAVAW) is designed to provide participants with an overview of the Retail Program Standards criteria and an in-depth understanding of the self-assessment and verification audit processes, worksheets, and forms. The two and a half day workshop will enable participants to:
- Identify the requirements for each of the nine Retail Food Program Standards;
- Explore various approaches to meeting the criteria within the Retail Food Program Standards;
- Use the Retail Food Program Standards worksheets and forms to complete a verification audit of a jurisdiction’s self-assessment against the criteria contained in the standards; and
- Use the worksheets and forms to electronically compile and maintain results.
Participants should be program managers or those directly responsible for conducting program self- assessments and preparing for verification audits. Interactive workshop exercises have been developed for each of the nine Retail Food Program Standards and are designed to provide participants with hands-on experience in preparation for conducting a self-assessment or a verification audit.
Participants should have a good understanding of the criteria contained in each of the nine Retail Program Standards. The Retail Food Program Standards can be accessed using the hyperlink: https://www.fda.gov/food/retail-food-protection/voluntary-national-retail-food-regulatory-program-standards . An orientation on using FDA’s Retail Program Standards website, including the downloadable files and worksheets, will be provided at the workshop.
NEHA will set up an on-line registration process for each of these workshops beginning in December 2019. Registration Fee: $140 (to cover cost of room, AV, materials, etc.).