The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and partners developed an online training on preventing Legionnaires’ disease, PreventLD: A Training on Legionella Water Management Programs. The training focuses on creating a water management program to reduce risk for Legionnaires’ disease. The training aligns with industry standards (ASHRAE 188) on managing risk for Legionella bacteria.
The PreventLD training…
- Outlines how to reduce risk for Legionella in facilities through water management programs.
- Helps water management programs align with ASHRAE 188 on reducing risk for Legionella in building water systems (e.g., potable water, cooling towers, hot tubs, decorative water features).
- Is free and available online, and continuing education units are available from the National Environmental Health Association (NEHA).
- Helps build common language across the range of professionals involved in water management programs.
- Includes case studies, templates, and other practical resources to reduce the risk for Legionella and protect those at increased risk of Legionnaires’ disease: adults aged 50 years or older, current or former smokers, and those with a weakened immune system or chronic disease.