The Tennessee Integrated Food Safety Center of Excellence (TN CoE) is offering free, online, and self-paced training courses focused on foodborne outbreak investigations.
In collaboration with the TN CoE, the Center for Agriculture and Food Security and Preparedness (CAFSP) at the University of Tennessee has produced a series of CDC-funded online training courses focused on foodborne outbreak investigations and team development. The courses may be taken either as introductory training or as refresher training for more experienced staff. CAFSP is certified by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET), and participants who successfully complete the CAFSP online courses will be awarded Continuing Education Units (CEUs).
To register for a course, please visit foodsafety.utk.edu/training.
Courses include the following:
Foodborne Outbreak Investigation and Response Team Roles and Responsibilities
- Course 1 (Part A): An overview of the food safety system and how partnerships enhance the investigation (0.4 CEUs)
- Course 2 (Part B): Integrating surveillance systems into all areas of an investigation (0.4 CEUs)
Initial Foodborne Illness Investigation
- Course 3: An overview of knowledge and skills necessary to initiate an investigation (0.4 CEUs)
Environmental Health Investigations
- Course 4: Activities and responsibilities of Environmental Health during an investigation (0.5 CEUs)
Epidemiologic Investigations Related to Foodborne Outbreaks
- Course 5: Activities and responsibilities of Epidemiology during an investigation (0.4 CEUs)
Laboratory Investigations Related to Foodborne Outbreaks (coming December 2018)
- Course 6: Activities and responsibilities of the Laboratory during an investigation
Concluding the Investigation (coming 2019)
- Course 7: An overview of knowledge and skills necessary to conclude an investigation
This series includes complimentary tabletop team activities which are available for download.
- Activity 1: Communication Procedures
- Activity 2: Interviewer Training
- Activity 3: Coming in 2019