The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC’s) National Prevention Information Network (NPIN) and Emory University have integrated data to provide a comprehensive, national directory of health service providers in the U.S. that offer pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) to prevent HIV infection. Emory’s Prep Locator, created and launched in 2016, is now powered and maintained by NPIN.
The integrated database includes more than 1,800 public and private PrEP providers from all 50 states, as well as U.S. territories. It provides information about each health service provider, including key services and if a provider offers PrEP access assistance and/or PrEP to uninsured patients at a low cost. To simplify access to information in the database, NPIN released a new PrEP locator widget where users can enter a zip code and get a list of nearby PrEP providers.
As a powerful tool for HIV prevention, PrEP can substantially reduce the chance a person will be infected with HIV, but only if they know about it and where to get it, can access the medication and laboratory services for free or at an affordable cost, and take it as directed.
Providers and organizations that offer health services to people at high risk for HIV can use the database and the PrEP locator widget in several ways. You can:
- Inform people about PrEP and tell them about the NPIN PrEP Locator Widget as a tool to find PrEP providers in their area.
- Host the PrEP locator widget on your website. Download the widget from the NPIN Widget Library.
- Add a clinic to the database using the online request form.
- Access the data for research and evaluation purposes. Request access to the database at NPINemail@example.com.
- Request an application programming interface, or API, to create custom data products, such as applications and programs. Request the API at NPINfirstname.lastname@example.org.
We can alter the course of the U.S. HIV epidemic by using science, partners, champions, and new and existing resources. Explore and use the database and the PrEP locator widget and share these tools with your colleagues and public health partners.